The Testing Ground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Meh FEH DEH
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 8:37 pm by Rika

» Log of Time Skip From Home (blood drinking)
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 6:29 pm by Rika

» why do I need a title
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 8:40 pm by Sharaku

» Compedium, SL/Thread Tracker/ Plug book For Tequila
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 11:59 am by Rika

» Talents (WIP)
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 pm by Rika

» The Differences in Half Breeds
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 pm by Rika

» Pain Points
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 pm by Rika

» Data Dump: The Beast
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 am by Rika

» Wandering About
Chat Clients Instead then?  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2018 9:41 am by Rika

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Top posting users this week
No user

Chat Clients Instead then?

2 posters

Go down

Chat Clients Instead then?  Empty Chat Clients Instead then?

Post by Rika Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:39 pm

It was odd sitting at a small table with a netbook before him in a space that was all his own. There was no mother anymore. Just him and a few things to call his own and survive off of. He thought that when he first left that life of luxury and decided to get a small place to at least have a place to rest his head that he would flip out and wouldn’t be able to handle it. However, while the flipping out did occur and he did have his moments of weepiness, once he had settled and gotten used to the idea of being on his own, he found himself slowly warming up to the idea and in turn liking it. It was odd being actually free. It felt almost too good to be true, but he was here and perhaps now could actually move forward with his life now that no chains were attached to him. It was nerve wracking, but in a good way. He had no one to answer to and could do as he pleased and as long as he stayed away from the windows he didn’t have to worry about hiding his true self from the world.  He had no strings attached...though on that note there was one particular odd string in life.

Red eyes would drift from a video he was watching on the computer to the paper next to him where he had scribbled a name: Noire. It was the chat screen name for Sharaku. The demon would tilt his head slightly at the paper wondering what made him ask the other for it in the first place.

They weren’t buddies as far as he knew and while the guy was indeed pretty, he didn’t think he had any attraction towards him outside of the fact that the guy was a curious thing to him, but there were many curious people out there and not once had he bothered to ask for a number or screen name. So what was it that made this one different? What made him want to actually attempt to talk with the guy that he pretty much butted heads with constantly? It didn’t make sense to be honest. Just like it didn’t make sense that the longer he stared at that name, the more tempted he was actually find him on that chat client. He would hesitate for a second longer and then sighing, he would start up the chat client on his system and once it had stopped doing its update thing, he would use the search bar to find the name and once finding it, he would click it and send a request to be added. He wondered if he was going to regret this.

Message sent to Norie:

Chat Clients Instead then?  UAtefUj

Bloodybones is requesting to be added.

Rika
Rika
Admin

https://playgroun.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chat Clients Instead then?  Empty Re: Chat Clients Instead then?

Post by Sharaku Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 pm

To be completely honest, Sharaku had nearly forgotten he even gave his contact information to the guy. It wasn't something that occurred often, and he hardly ever actually did any chatting. Simply because he either didn't care enough, or didn't even think about it. Plus, it's not like he had a billion friends he could add and stuff. Therefore, there was really next to no reason for him to think about the existence of such communication to begin with on most days. Alas, not all days are the same, right?

Luckily enough for the other, he had actually been looking up some stuff around that time, so he had his laptop open. Although, the same couldn't be said about his attention span apparently, since it took him a good few minutes to register that the thingy was popping up on his screen and asking for attention. So much for that? If nothing else though, it managed to remind him that this was in fact a thing. He was wondering just what the guy had in mind when it came to this after all, but hadn't done much about it at first. Now he would seemingly have to though.

And the first thing to do would be to raise an eyebrow at his screen at seeing the picture. He had already thought that the name was a little strange, considering that bloody things could be pretty nasty, but combining that with a yellowish...what was that even?....was mildly oddball. It kind of looked like a cartoonish elf? He wasn't even sure. Whatever though. Hmm.

Chat Clients Instead then?  0TyOO7B

So many dots in that message. They must feel abused.
Sharaku
Sharaku

Back to top Go down

Post by Rika Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:08 am

He sent the message and got accepted according to the side panel that showed names. That strange grayed out question mark went away and lit up as green as the first and only person on his list was added. Was he distressed at having just that one person there? Not really. It wasn’t like he had a ton of folk to add in the first place nor was it like he actually used the chat enough to actually make friends. Sure, he talked to the random passbyer that somehow found him when he did have it on, but that was about it and that was if he happened to actually open the darn thing. His chats were few and far between, but he had gotten the program just in case he actually did make a friend along his path, but it seemed Fate or whatever you wanted to call it had different plans for how he was to utilize this chat. Instead of a friend, he was connecting with an acquaintance that he was unsure of where he stood with or even if the guy would bother responding back. Yes, he had given a screen name, but that didn’t obligate other to do anything. Yet even with the chances at 50/50….he had still added him and sent the request to be added.

He was accepted, but didn’t get a response back. No issue considering there was a number of things to keep someone for not answering right away; however, as time stretched on he honestly thought the other perhaps wasn’t going to answer and so with an inward shrug. He would let the chat run in the background as he went back to browsing the web again. He had actually gotten pretty deep into the surfing to the point where he had forgotten about the chat. In fact, about time the strange bloop sound came from the chat client, he was distracted enough that it startled him in the quiet place.

Making sure to turn his volume down a bit, he would bring the chat client to the front once more. He would take note of the cute tiger there and had actually smile a bit considering he never thought the guy would be into cute things like that; however, the message he received caused his smile to fade as he narrowed his eyes to read it…..

really?
the first thing you focus on is the dots and how they are feeling?
Bloodybones shakes head
that is an interesting way to say hello...-.-
Rika
Rika
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharaku Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:56 am

Okay? Well, someone was certainly touchy over a random message. It's not like he had said something completely morbid or such, so what's the fuss...?

First of all, that was just a joke.
Second, I'm not sure why does it apparently bother you in the first place.
Anyway, would you have rather received a 'hi', and be left with pretty much nothing exact to respond to?
Sharaku
Sharaku

Back to top Go down

Post by Rika Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:58 am

He could see already that this was going to be an interesting event. If they misunderstood each other face-to-face then this....this was going to be even more entertaining. Regardless he had a reply to contend with, so...

we understood it was a joke.
and honestly we were just going along with what was there, so not really a bother. just amusing
as for your question, i dunno. we suppose it would've been tougher. just didn't expect that is all.
Bloodybones shrugs.
anyway
sup?
Rika
Rika
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharaku Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20 am

Well, that was a really weird way of going along then. As far as he was aware, dotting and stuff like that were typically not a reaction of amusement when in next form. Don't people do that when they don't like what was said, in one way or another? In his opinion, a line of dots plus that type of 'face' were a poor way of showing you're amused and actually going along. What did he know though.

???
Well, that's news to me. I always thought stuff like ''.....'' was a more negative reaction in texts, and the ''-.-'' looks more displeased than amused to me. Very hard to tell that you are actually amused based on those things alongside the wording which gives a rather 'you serious?' vibe to me. I don't know though.
Maybe you should make your new motto be 'Always expect the unexpected?'
It could be helpful, it seems.

-insert a slight pause between messages-

Also, the stars. I think they're interesting.
http://weknowyourdreams.com/images/stars/stars-06.jpg
Sharaku
Sharaku

Back to top Go down

Post by Rika Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:53 pm

And so it began. The misunderstanding and the smart ass comments. Within a few moments of starting this chat already things were taking a turn for perhaps rough waters if handled poorly; however, Rika was not too bothered yet as he read the message on screen and then shifting in his chair, he would move his fingers across the keypad to respond.

dots.
oh how they can misinterpreted at times.
while they can sometimes be used to reflect negativity, they can also be used for having nothing to say for a moment or thought.
having them trail off of things could be considered tired or unsure or contemplative.
dots can be many things.
as for that face at the end, well….
we suppose dry humor just doesn’t translate well over text and blank face icons are just a no go apparently. >>;;

He would pause in his typing a bit as he stared at the rest of that comment. Now why the hell would he change his motto to that just because he had a different interpretation of things? He would shake his head lightly at that one.

meh, maybe, but i am too lazy to change my motto.
though can’t see how it'd be useful.
think it would make things more confusing.

Then there was a pause for a bit where the other did not respond back, so Rika simply busied himself with something else. When he heard the familiar bloop again and read/saw what was there…

Bloodybones faceplams >.<

heh. you just couldn’t give us a straight answer could ya?
Rika
Rika
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharaku Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Okay? But if you have nothing to say, why not just...well, say nothing until you do come up with a response? And the other certainly did right after. Definitely causes less confusion that way, no? In lieu of the meaning the guy was trying to present, those dots seemed like a highly unnecessary message to even send. He could see them being used in that manner when perhaps writing a novel, or something that others would read, to indicate some character is being silent for such reasons, but what good does it really do in real life conversation? He saw little point in typing ''....'' with the meaning of having nothing to say when you then go and give an actual response seconds later. That means you did in fact have something to say right away, making the dots slightly moot, and opening the door for misinterpretation depending on what your following statements are.

Well, I was only talking about the dots by themselves there, so the latter meaning isn't very relevant right now. Regardless, what's it good for? I mean, you definitely had something to say right away, because you wrote a follow-up immediately after. Therefore, aren't the dots moot in terms of the meaning you propose? Since you did not seem to take time to think after typing them, I honestly saw no reason to assume that such is what they supposedly meant.
Or maybe it's just me not seeing the need to attempt explicitly expressing that I have nothing to say for a few seconds. I'd just actually say nothing, and give the response when I come up with it. We do it the same way when face-to-face too, don't we? Don't think I ever considered trying to somehow emote the fact that I'm taking a moment to think...
Whatever though.
Speaking of translation, I think that face failed mainly because in combination with the rest of what you wrote, it seemed to be more likely to convey something akin to exasperation at the situation, rather than an attempt at humor.
Anyway, considering that I don't know you inside out, I think it isn't very surprising that I can't exactly be sure what is meant to be a humorous response to what I said, and what is in fact a displeased reaction when the boundaries appear to be rather unclear in said message. Which is why I opted to go for clarification at first, in case it happened to be the latter.
Feel free to take that as you will.

Like, what if it actually had been the latter, and the other would end up getting mad because of it being passed over as if it meant nothing? Technically speaking, there is no right choice of interpretation unless you know the person well enough to be able to instinctively understand what kind of undertone they are aiming for with their words. Which can sometimes be even harder to do through text. Although he would say it's not super easy in person either, unless said person is very expressive with their face and gives it away clearly.

Why?
If you're willing to expect anything, an answer should be less likely to surprise you too much, regardless of what it is. What about it makes things more confusing?

If you tend to view things as confusing, that won't change based on what kind of stance you take towards responses, will it?

Anyway...

Straight answers are boring. And I'm doing relatively nothing either way.
Sharaku
Sharaku

Back to top Go down

Post by Rika Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:53 pm

…..we were talking about the dots too. so we don’t see how most of what we said is irrelevant to the subject since we thought we were having a conversation about meanings behind them.
and no I do not think mah dots are moot since for us they are symbols of silence or thought.
yes I responded afterwards, but there was a space of time when i didn’t. So it wasn’t really right away.
Bloodybones sighs.
Where are time stamps when ya need them? >>

Seriously though. Why was he making a big fuss over the dots to begin with? Okay. Yes dots had many ways to be interpreted and true without being face-to-face he couldn’t technically tell what Rika meant by the dots due to no context to base it on. But still….

in any case why does it even matter if we use dots or not for our pauses or to do certain things?
we could be quiet, but then again, if i did it too long, the other might assume i just up and left. also i don’t even get why we are comparing face-to-face with this.
no we don’t emote and that shit face-to-face (amusing as that may seem), but we dun need to since most of time the actions speak for us. when you have just text in front of ya, ya kind of need to do something to express yourself.
silence is nice and all, but seriously it mostly means to me you either afk or doing something that is better than dealing with us.
we do not equate long silences to actual thinking up an answer since we cannot see ya and in turn confirm you are indeed just thinking.
though it is a good side note to have if it is a thing with you.

As for the rest of that…

………
Bloodybones is thinking.

He would actually pause and consider that one. He supposed the other did have a point. They didn’t know each other well and maybe even less so considering that up until now he had been dealing with the human that had now become part of him. He supposed he wasn’t exactly the same person though he could remember things from previous encounters between the man and the blonde here and there. In any case, he would eventually move to type again.

hmmm. alright fair point.
we’ll work on being clearer then.

Maybe if he tried working this from the other’s perspective he could communicate better with him. It was worth a try. And who knew maybe it would be less stressful this way.

see that is exactly why it would be confusing.
we put that up there - “expect the unexpected” - and then folk will be like alright he’s gonna do random shit, but then if i turn around and be predictable that would be confusing as fuck to them.
or on the other hand just becoming boring ‘cause they can’t be surprised anymore.
Dun like any of those choices guy.
besides itz no longer unexpected if it is placed out there like that.
*it’s

No reason to place up something that he would either rebel against or cause someone to find him boring because he was always doing things unexpected. It would certainly irk him to be constantly walled like that, so best to leave a bit of room for the imagination and surprise.

heh. well that is true. and cool. cool.

And he would pause unsure what to say next after that. Welp.
Rika
Rika
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharaku Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Because I was really only talking about a situation when the dots are on their own. You started mixing in the idea of extra dots at the end of a sentence and whatever else. They obviously have slightly different meanings, and if we focus on every type of dot there is, this conversation will never end. That’s why I find a chunk of what you said irrelevant to this situation.
Well for you maybe, but everyone can interpret them their way.
And you know, the time difference must have been nearly nonexistent either way, since I definitely didn’t catch the moment where there were only the dots. By the time I looked, I already saw the whole thing you typed. And I’m pretty sure I didn’t take ages to look.

He wasn’t waiting 5+ minutes to read a message, but it’s not like he was jumping on it a second after it came, since he wasn’t staring at his screen waiting solely for the ping to come. If it was a really short time difference, it probably mattered jack squat. He honestly saw the dots when the rest of the stuff was already written too, so it really didn’t make him think of any delays. When it’s below a minute..or maybe even two, it wouldn’t even strike him as much of a time difference. For all one knows, you need to look something up before you respond further, or something else on your computer demanded attention for a few moments. Literally no big deal there. That’s what he’d say at least.

On a side note though, he wasn’t exactly fussing. But he wasn’t going to just abandon a conversation mid-way and pretend they magically ended it out of nowhere. As long as it was still going, he was going to keep responding to it, no? Did the guy think he was supposed to just cut it off at random, because choosing to roll with it equals big fussing? Well, he wouldn’t know....

I was just saying that it could easily be misinterpreted depending on what you write afterwards. And even if you don’t, just a line of dots alone sends possible mixed messages. I can’t know whether it means you are out of things to say, or if it’s supposed to mean something like 'wtf‘. That’s all. The conversation just started going further beyond that, so I went with it.
I never realized there is something extra to do while being silent, even face-to-face. I don’t really think I do???
Anyway, what exactly is even long to you? I mean, I wouldn’t start thinking someone has gone completely away and left unless they took at least a good 10 minutes already, or something like that. Even then, they may have just gotten caught up with something out of nowhere.
A short pause can mean anything, from them looking something up before giving a response, to needing to simply do something else first.
And well...sorry? Just because I’m chatting with you, and something comes up for a bit that I think is important to deal with right away, it doesn’t mean it’s better than you because I need to stop responding for a while to deal with it.

Was this really an issue of the guy assuming that he was being left alone way quicker than necessary? Because it was starting to look that way. That whole mentality of 'You didn’t respond for a while. Guess that means I’m not entertaining enough and you don’t want to deal with me anymore‘. No? Take a chill pill man. Geez. The fact that you may not always be the first thing that gets responded to and dealt with doesn’t mean you have less value. If for example someone has a cat, and it starts tossing down some stuff from their kitchen counter, wouldn’t they go deal with that and save their stuff over responding to a text message? Or any situation that just demands some attention, really.

I normally don’t think of explicitly showing I’m thinking if I’m about to take less than 2 minutes or so to answer anyway. Because I see next to no reason for the other person to already start thinking I’m ignoring them after such a short delay.

He just didn’t. If that is long enough for you to start having doubts about whether you’re going to get responded to at all, then maybe you need to start thinking about why are you such a downy worry-wart first. Anyway...

I suppose that sounds like a plan.

Whether it would work or not though, he had no idea. After all, what looks perfectly clear to one person, may be completely confusing to another. Speaking of which, the next matter was a perfect example of that, as the guy was dissecting the saying way too hard, and making it more complicated than it needed to be.

Well, that one’s on you.
As I said before, I only see it as willingness to expect something unexpected rather than just the typical stuff. Not as a mentality where I only expect completely random things. Responses can range from normal to weird, and I can always keep that in mind too. It can be either in the end.
I think you’re digging too much into this and making it confusing for yourself.
Besides, in my opinion, anything can become boring. Too much of normal can be boring. Too much of random shit can become less entertaining after a while. Regardless of whether you expect any of it or not.
Is surprise even that necessary? Do you get a kick out of it or something? I don’t see much difference between simply taking a message in, and being shocked to all hell about it for whatever reason. I still have the same thing to respond to in the end anyway, whether I make a scene about it or not. It doesn’t make me feel any different at the end of the day.
To me, it’s all the same.

He literally just didn’t care. Unexpected or not, you have to deal with what you were served. And it was no different. Plus, every person finds different things boring. Can’t go and generalize that people would suddenly start being bored of you simply because you stated that. Some may. And some will be bored even when you don’t make them expect those things. It’s really up to chance at the end of it all.

What was he to say anyway...?
Sharaku
Sharaku

Back to top Go down

Post by Rika Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Error 404. Client disconnected. Please use rebooted one instead.
Rika
Rika
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down